Remember my first butterfly? (Check a few posts back.) Well now, Mr. Butterfly has a lot of company.
I first added him to a nice little bell flower. BTW, the entire piece is made of black and purple silk. This flower is HUGE! I made it from 3″ squares and measures just under 3″ across.
Next, a few more flowers were added to the kanzashi. They’re only about 1 1/2″ across. Since I made the original butterfly’s body out of Swarovski crystals, I decided to use crystals as the center pieces of the smaller flowers too. You can see in the next picture that Mr. Butterfly has a little friend. ^_^
Since I had just one of the japanese silver colored prongs left, I figured what the heck and used that for the base.
From this point there were a few tiny little 1″ butterflies that had to be constructed. What a learning experience that was! With such small butterflies I had to use smaller crystals as their bodies. I’m talking teeny, tiny 4mm crystals. They didn’t want to glue together and then I realized that the opening wasn’t big enough for both antanae to fit in. It took some creative experiemnting to get those together.
After several days, it’s finally done. It’s my most intricate kanzashi to date with four flowers and four butterflies. I’m ecstatic about how it turned out. I learned a lot on the way and even picked up some new techniques. I ended up with a lot of glue on my hands, but I was so worth it. I hope this one goes home with a very happy lolita girl. Maybe I’ll see it at a con one day. Now that would be neat.
Of course you can check this out at my Etsy Shop if you’d like to buy it. wink,wink.